In a previous post, we talked about some great ways to sit back and unwind at the Oregon Coast this Summer. Now it is time to consider some of the many ways to get yourself moving! Walking, Hiking and Running are all on the list, but so is sandcastle building! There’s something for everyone!
Ocean’s Edge 5K
July 5th @ 9am
Behind Kyllo’s Restraunt in Lincoln City
One of the few all-beach running events on the Oregon Coast, this fun run/walk takes place at low tide on July 5th. It starts and ends behind Kyllo’s Restraunt.
Photogaphy Hiking Clinics
Cost: $20 per person per clinic
Limited to 12 photographers – please reserve in advance at 541-994-3405
I talked about the Photo Hikes a few months ago, but they bear being repeatedly gabbed about. Each outing begins at a celebrated Lincoln City trail head and ends at the studio for Q & A and social time. Hikes last for roughly 2 hours with 1 hour of studio time. Bring your digital camera and a willingness to learn! You’ll get a lot out of this time with photo professionals, no matter what your level of expertise.
Sunday, July 19, 2015 – Agnes Creek Trail, 9-11am
Sunday, August 2, 2015 – Drift Creek Falls, 9-11am
Sunday, August 16, 2015 – Cascade Head, 9-11am
To register or for more information, contact Blue Water Photography:
Taft Beach Sandcastle Contest
August 8, 2015, 1-5pm
Siletz Bay, Historic Taft District in Lincoln City (SW 51st Street)
One of the greatly anticipated events of the Summer is the annual Taft Beach Sandcastle Contest. Participants band together to help the Lincoln City Food Pantry with donations and create masterpieces of sand. Here’s the gist:
- Registration is from 1pm, on the dock at SW 51st Street
- All participants must register on the day of the event, before you begin.
- There is a Fee of one can or more of food per entrant, which will be donated to the Lincoln City Food Pantry.
- Choice of sand sculpture is up to you. Keep in mind this is a fun family-oriented event. We ask that your creations be done in respect of this tradition.
- Entries must be built using only sand, water, shells and other natural beach materials found on the beach that day. hand tools and forms of any sort may be used in the construction process but in no way may support the final sculpture. NO POWER TOOLS ARE ALLOWED.
- Young children competing in the 12 year old and younger category may receive limited advice from adults, however adults must refrain from telling the child what to do and physically assisting in any manner (if you desire, you may all enter as a group).
- Judging will take place at 5pm, winners will be announced shortly thereafter. Stay with your creation until all judging is completed. YOU MUST BE PRESENT TO WIN!
- Sorry, professional “Sand Artists” are disqualified from winning.
Open Spaces Bird Walk
August 20 @ 9 am
Volunteers from the Audubon Society of Lincoln City will be taking leading an easy bird-watching hike at Devil’s Lake State Park. No previous experience is required. Binoculars and guidebooks will be provided.
Call 541-996-1224 for more information.